all laptop

السبت، 29 يونيو 2013

I purchased the Samsung Series 7 23-inch version





I added a second, non-touch, 22" Dell monitor as a secondary screen. Since the Dell had a DVI connector, I bought an cheap HDMI-to-DVI conversion cable and it recognized the screen automatically and extended the desktop.

I bought the Samsung Series 7 23-inch version.

PROS:
one. Packing: the screen is protected by more foam in the box than I have ever seen for a screen this size. In case you get a damaged unit - I doubt it would be from transit.
two. Build quality is excellent on the screen itself - very solid feeling, the fringe of the screen wrapped in a chrome-colored metal. The stand also very solid feeling.
three. Speed jogging application and apps is excellent, although the hard drive is 5400rpm than 7200. I did not notice a controversy with speed. Cold boot time around 30 seconds, and wake from sleep mode about ten seconds.
four. Touch screen: ten point touch screen very responsive to touch - have had no issues with the Windows 8 Metro swipes, Metro apps, or with using touch on desktop applications. It works. (and, as a side note, I feel the touch is the better way to interact with the Metro screen than with keyboard/mouse, for the most part

CONS: (none of these made me deduct any stars - I feel these are minor annoyances)
one. Keyboard/mouse: the keyboard feels nice & solid, but the key-travel is shallow. I find myself not liking the shallow/mushy feel of the keys. And there is no separate number pad. The mouse is an embarrassment to Samsung, & can be out-classed by any third party USB mouse you could purchase. I will probably return to an MS brand keyboard/mouse that I already own.
two. The dedicated touch control buttons on the front of the screen, to the left of the power button: they do not light up, & in dim light are  impossible to read. (they control eject, volume, brightness, etc.) I in lieu use the FN keys on the keyboard itself to alter volume quickly.
three. The Samsung apps for generating system backups of your Windows operating system are not basically found. I had to stumble around the 'search' pane for some time to finally find the right Samsung support app, & then had to download a complete update to the Samsung application suite, which took some time. I would have preferred this to be highlighted somehow when first beginning the PC - a popup screen for the user saying 'hey, dummy, here is where you can generate your backup disks for system restore'. I have not tried to generate backups yet & will update with results if I have issues.

I find myself using a mix of touch & mouse/keyboard. There's some handy shortcuts you will require to learn: Windows key + R for "run", Windows key + Q for "search".
five. Appearance: the hardware looks nice on your table - the Samsung logo lights up white when the PC is on.
6. Dedicated Eject touch button on front of screen to open the side loading DVD tray.

Windows 8: as a Windows 8 dedicated touch gizmo, I say the Samsung is a great way to experience the operating method. As for Windows 8 itself, I find it an odd bipolar experience. When living in the Metro start screen, and using dedicated Metro full-screen apps, it is an experience that highlights the worth of the touch interface. But as soon as you hit the desktop to run a non-metro app (and this will happen to you quickly, as lots of application applications are still not written for the Metro app store), you are back to the Windows 7 experience, and touch does not feel as intuitive, although it still works fine.

Another Windows 8 note: extended desktop panoramic themes: in case you set up monitors you can download panoramic windows themes from Microsoft at no cost - the images included in the different themes are incredible, and look incredible when spanned across monitors! If your monitors are different resolutions, the notes from Microsoft all state that it will display different pics on the monitors than span - but I found a simple work around for that. Comment in case you need the solution.

UPDATE: SAMSUNG SUPPORT not so great. days in to configuring application and loading knowledge, I loaded a licensed copy of a DVD burning program that I own. Later after a reboot my DVD drive stopped working. Windows gizmo manager indicated a corrupted driver/registry. So I used the 'chat with support' option in the Samsung Application and got no where quickly. After proposing I 'delete the gizmo and re-add in gizmo manager' (which I had already completed several times after uninstalling the DVD burning program), I was one time told to take it to a Samsung Service Middle. Granted, this was a self inflicted issue, but I would expect support to be able to help me troubleshoot driver/registry issues with their own DVD gizmo. I resolved the issue by myself with the help of an HP user forum! So I would recommend in case you have issues, you may need to generate a Twitter account and tweet "@SamsungSupport" than use the support chat. They can probably help more quickly.

So I currently find myself pulled in directions using Windows, but, overall, the Samsung itself is an excellent gizmo to interface with crazy Win 8 world.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق